Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Just a quick bit of musical inspiration...

One of the main influences on me during the pre-production of this film has been music, in particular that of The Velvet Underground. The song Venus in Furs, I feel really captures the ambiance of Poppy and how provocative she needs to be.

This song represents how powerful the female form is in a masochistic way and I feel that that is how I would like Poppy to be. The man needs her and she is totally in control.

Also another Velvet Underground song I have found to be a big influence is the song, Heroin. Obviously as the title suggests it is about heroin.



I love how the tempo changes in this song and I think that if I manage to get someone to do a musical score for this film I would like something like that to happen. The lyrics in this are very poignant too. "Heroin, it's my wife and it's my life" "I have made the big decision, I'm gonna try to nullify my life". I am also considering having the main character called Jim because the lyrics from this song say "I really don't care anymore about all the Jim-Jims in this town".

I have also been listening to other bands and artists to try and get a wider perspective on how the film should look and feel. The song "Poor Edward" by Tom Waits struck me as an incredibly sombre and powerful track. Based on a 17th century legend about a young man who had the face of a woman on his hand that drove him to suicide, this can also be related to "Poppy" in that, she has driven him to death.

I may even call the main character Edward after this song. I like how as legend tells it, he tried to have the face removed but was told that he would die as a result. However, by committing suicide his death was already imminent. It is a very morbid and melancholy song that I think fits my film very well. Although I do want there to be a slight glimmer of hope in the character of Poppy.

Also, the track "The White Lady Loves You More" by Elliott Smith is a direct reference to the white lady and the love of the drug heroin.



And the track "Elegie" by Patti Smith.




I also love the eeriness and melancholy feel of this track for an Adidas advert by Karen O.

No comments:

Post a Comment